Loading...

Rousey, Holm separated after confrontation

6 / 11
 
 
MELBOURNE, Australia — Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm were involved in a heated altercation at the weigh-in for their main event showdown at UFC 193.
Rousey had to be pulled away from challenger Holm by UFC president Dana White as the pair squared off on stage at Etihad Stadium, with the champion having stormed toward her rival with a fierce expression while snarling in her direction.
It appeared that hostilities between the two women’s bantamweight fighters might escalate further, with Rousey seeming intent on stirring trouble, before White forcefully intervened and separated the combatants.
"That fake sweet act, I see right through it," Rousey said in an on-stage interview with commentator Joe Rogan moments later. "I just wanted to get in her face and show her that I am here. She is the one that put her fist on my face. I didn’t touch her."
Holm has, perhaps wisely, stayed away from trash talking Rousey in the build-up to Saturday’s fight, where a record UFC crowd of up to 60,000 is expected.
However, while Rousey had previously generally had pleasant things to say about Holm, she arrived at the weigh-in bristling with anger.
"You are not the first person who thought they had the perfect plan to beat me," Rousey yelled. "You are going to get it."
Holm, a former world boxing champion, did not seem especially fazed by the interaction.
"I don’t know," she said when asked by Rogan what had caused the exchange. "I’m just having a drink, you know. I have all the respect for her in the world, but I am a different fighter."
Both fighters weighed in at 134 lbs, one pound beneath the bantamweight limit.
Follow Martin Rogers on Twitter @mrogersUSAT.
 

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *